Monday, January 12, 2009

Buying Time

Never turn your back on a blog; the next thing you know a week goes by and, not only have you not posted anything, you don't have anything up your sleeve to post about. So what do you do? You have a look in your "Wrote this stuff some time ago, couldn't find a market for it and forgot about it" file for something to put on the blog to buy you some time until you can come up with a fresh, new post that doesn't mention the crappy weather or the various illnesses you've been suffering.

So here for your perusal is a story of my misspent youth, when the most important thing in my life was . . .

Impressing Heidi


At 17, all I wanted in life was a car and to impress Heidi, the casually stunning and serenely self-possessed young woman who seemed to make it her life’s work to overlook my existence.

Heidi went to my school but was from white-collar, college-bound suburbia and I was rural working-class so, even though we spent every Wednesday afternoon sitting in the same biology class, we occupied different universes. To make her notice me was going to require more than a box of chocolates. I, therefore, spent my senior year admiring her from afar and dreaming up unlikely and unsuccessful scenarios that would merit both her attention and admiration.

The weeks ground on bringing no inspiration. Then graduation day arrived and, despite my many distractions, I managed to receive a diploma. The next day I was off to Mexico to do volunteer missionary work with my church group. We were away for six weeks, and among the many adventures I experienced on this amazing trip was an introduction to a quaint Mexican tradition.

One night, I accompanied a group of local boys as they walked through the village streets to a house near the outskirts of town. They were in a jocular mood and one of them had a guitar slung on his back. When we reached the house, the boy with the guitar started playing and singing, accompanied by his friends. Naturally, I panicked; I was certain the Federales would swoop down on us and I’d be writing home from a Mexican jail, but the door soon opened and the parents came out, not to scold us, but to invite us in for hot chocolate. The object of the boy’s affection was suitably coy in her nightgown and robe, the parents beamed and I was just glad to avoid incarceration.

Recalling this event upon returning home, I realized it would be the perfect way to impress Heidi. There was absolutely no downside to it; it reeked of culture and romanticism, it was steeped in tradition and, best of all, wouldn’t cost me a dime. I recruited two of my friends and, at 1 o’clock on a Saturday morning, parked my ’65 Chevy on the deserted street in front of Heidi’s house. We crept into the back yard and positioned ourselves beneath what we hoped was her bedroom window on the upper floor. Then we launched into song. I don’t recall what we sang; something fitting the occasion yet suitably romantic, I expect, like “La Bamba.”

I kept my eyes on the window above, expecting to see Heidi open it and lean out, perhaps to blow me a kiss or toss down a flower. Instead, the back door opened. It took a few moments to recognize Heidi’s older sister with her hair done up in curlers and her face white and puffy from sleep. She held the screen door in one hand and clutched her robe protectively to her with the other. A single look silenced us.

“Good night, boys,” she said.

My guitar, my friends and my ’65 Chevy were back home in record time. I was too chagrined to go near Heidi’s house again and the next week she left for college.

I never found out if I impressed her. In fact, I can’t be sure she even heard us, or whether her sister told her about our midnight visit. I liked to believe she did, however, and imagined her occasionally reminiscing about my brave, though somewhat inadvisable, attempt at cross-culture serenading, secretly wishing her current boyfriend was as romantic and imaginative.

But, overall, I didn’t worry too much about it; I mean, at least I had a car.

12 comments:

  1. I'd have to say that her sister almost inevitably told her about it. Unless she was unspeakably jealous of the entire event.

    This means that Heidi got to know about how romantic your gesture was without actually having to go through the experience of listening to you singing. Almost inevitably you will have impressed Heidi more than you would have had she been present.

    This means that either you and Heidi were not meant to be, or she's spent the last, erm, several years looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just so hope she told her! Because how ever Butt Ugly a boy is (not you, Mike, no no no) a girl just Has To Show Off when it comes to romantic gestures. So.. I bet Heidi tells that story. Cant you find out now where she is and send her an email, all those years later. As journalist, or something?? Lovely post. More please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris: I'm not exacty invisible; put my name into any search engine and you'll find me. I guess I just have to get used to the idea that it was just not meant to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladybird: I suppose I could make the effort to find her, but what if she got fat or became an Amway Sales Rep or, more likely, is now head of Marketing for some high-flying International Corporation and says to me, "Mike who?" No, some things are better left unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, it's nice to hear a guys point of view on young love :-)

    Hope you are feeling better and avoiding going out in this cold, germ-filled January.

    PS I am pretty sure curler girl told Heidi. As for Googling, I agree that some memories are best left to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That made me smile. My motto, what was in the past should be left in the past!!

    I am doing a post on the weather on Thursday, I'd be interested in your thoughts.....

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah bless. I love the fact that the sis didn't rant and rave. The object of your "affection" was probably also in curlers and too embarrassed to come down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JAPRA: Thanks. I am better now. And I agree that my imagination is the best place for this particular memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gill: Glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Expat Mum: Sis might not have ranted and raved, but she was not a happy camper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog, Mike. How are you m'dear?

    I am going to try your cure all for my cold. I have whiskey but no cigar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Fiona! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope the whiskey helps.

    ReplyDelete